The Spring House Hotel (1852)

Name of Owner(s): Frank DiBase
Building Address: 51 Spring Street
Year Erected: 1852 - ca.1920
Plat/Lot/Sublot: Plat 8 Lot 84

The original part of the Spring House, the plain colonial-type rear wing was built by Alfred T. Card beginning in 1852. The much more imposing front wing was begun in 1877 by then owner Barzilla B. Mitchell, but not completed until the 1920s. (Robert M. Downine)

The Spring House is a 2 ½ story, bellcast-mansard-roof hotel with an asymmetrical 12-bay façade, full width bracketed front porch, gable-roof ell centered on the rear, and square-plan, mansard-roof cupola centered on the roof.  Perpendicular to the hotel and to its west is the Annex, a 2 ½ story, mansard-roof building with asymmetrical 7-bay façade, wraparound porch, and sunbonnet dormers. One of the first hotels built on Block Island, it took advantage of a commanding seaside site and a mineral spring. It is the largest remaining hotel on the island. from Historical and Architectural Resources of Block Island, Rhode Island

Gallery of images for The Spring House

Leave a Reply