Peter Marcus (1922)

Name of Owner(s): Francis Honan
Building Address: 254 Spring Street
Year Erected: 1922
Plat/Lot/Sublot: Plat 7 Lot 11


Peter Marcus, a Providence jeweler and watchmaker, and his wife Anna, who married on June 2, 1882, honeymooned on the island.” What those newlyweds would have found as they entered Old Harbor on the ferry is pretty much what we see today – a series of Victorian hotels and buildings, striking with their Mansard roof lines and hints of a more elegant age. The Rhode Island Jewish Historical Notes states, “It is of interest that a Jewish family resided on Block Island as early as 1893. (Gloria Redlick, a full-time resident of Block Island, is a reporter for The Block Island Times)

Gallery of images for Peter Marcus (1922)

Leave a Reply